Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Have a Holly, Jolly, Fibro Holiday!

I'm hoping you all had a nice, relaxing Thanksgiving with family and friends. A trend I've noticed with those suffering from Fibromyalgia is, we all tend to be perfectionists, over-achievers, a bit (or a lot) OCD, and extremely driven. As someone without Fibro could imagine, having such an A-Type personality make its all the more frustrating when we can't be The Hostess with the Mostess, make every side dish and dessert in our cookbooks, and feed the entire neighborhood. In other words, we like to over-extend ourselves. We were mostly likely this way before we were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. And now, we feel even more repercussions and find it harder to bounce back. 

As great as it may feel to be told how great your great-grandmother's biscuits came out, or how easy you make the perfect Turkey look, lets be honest, it doesn't feel good enough to over come all of the pain and fatigue you get to deal with for the next few weeks....and just to do it all again for Christmas? 

STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

There are things we can do to keep ourselves from suffering through the holidays. Things we can do that might even allow us to ENJOY the holidays. 

"I already enjoy the holidays," you say. 

Well, you can't tell me you enjoy being bed-ridden after making your perfect feast, just so everything can be perfect, in your mind, for that one day.

"It's what my friends/family expect from me," you say.

Let me explain something to you. Your friends and family will not love you any less if you ask for help. They will not love you any less if you relinquish some of the responsibilities. They most certainly will not love you any less if you ask to have dinner at someone else's house this year. But if you demand to be the only one that cooks, and demand the get together be at your house every year because it's the most central location (or whatever reason you use), they will almost always let you do all the work. 

In order to relinquish those responsibilities though, you've got to be honest with yourself first. What are you able to do without over-extending yourself? What shortcuts can you take that really, (be honest), won't make that big of a difference?

We aren't just talking about cooking here. Let's talk about cleaning, eating, shopping, wrapping gifts, and something most people enjoy with holiday celebrations, alcohol.

CLEANING
If you do end up being the one having the holiday get-together at your house, instead of cleaning the entire house from top to bottom, clean the areas that will be used, and shut the doors to the "off-limit" areas. No one has to know you haven't vacuumed your guest bedroom closet. No one will honestly care :)

FOOD
If you've done your research about Fibro, you know there are certain foods that make us feel worse, and some make us feel better. Do yourself a favor, don't eat the ones that are going to make you feel like crap. And if you do get the urge to consume every sugary treat your Aunt Sally made, maybe try to do it in small portions. Remember, just because you're on Holiday, it doesn't mean your Fibro is too. Also, if you have grandkids, nieces, or nephews, this is a great time to teach them how to make some of the family recipes! Let them do the hard work while you sit back (comfortably) and supervise. 

SHOPPING
Black Friday is already over with, but there is still one day left of the weekend sale, then of course Cyber Monday. Not to mention all of the other amazing sales you'll see over the next few weeks. Whether you have 20 people to buy for, or only 2, shopping is stressful. If you haven't already, I recommend looking online at your favorite stores before going into them. Many websites let you check in-store availability before you make the trip to the crowded shopping center. If the store has it in stock, many will let you purchase your product online and pick it up in the store. If they don't have it in stock, then you can go ahead and take advantage of purchasing it online and having it shipped directly to your home! No trips to the mall or fighting crowds are necessary! Seriously, take advantage of the awesomeness that is Technology.

GIFT WRAPPING
Not only is this a time consuming task, it can often times be a physically draining task. Do you have grandkids, nieces, nephews, neighbors with kids? Pay them a nickel for every gift they wrap! Not only will they be learning the value of working for their money, your pocket book won't suffer from paying some expensive service in the mall to wrap your gifts for you! (Obviously you can pay them a little more if they're old enough to know the value of a Nickel these days haha). The gifts may not be wrapped perfectly, but they'll have charm and it will be a story to tell your guests that will make them go "Awww!!!"

ALCOHOL
As many of you know, my husband and I have recently decided to no longer drink alcohol. This was our personal choice based on how it was affecting our lives (and mostly interfering with my medication.) All of us can admit, drinking with friends at Holiday parties is fun, but it's not usually worth it for how crappy we feel the next few days. No, I'm not talking about a hangover. I'm talking simply about how alcohol interferes with our medications. Many of us are on anti-depressants (Cymbalta being the most common). Those of us who have been taking anti-depressants for some time know that missing a dose is BAD BAD BAD. Well, drinking alcohol is almost the same as missing a dose. You might as well be flushing those pills down the toilet (and they are NOT cheap!) So, instead of drinking the spiked eggnog, champagne, or hot-totti, perhaps you can enjoy some sparkling white grape juice, or hot cider instead. 

Hopefully I've been able to give some of you a few ideas on how to make your Holidays a little more doable. I know most of this is easier said than done. I'm a control freak, I'll be the first to admit it. But I've learned not to sweat the small stuff (most of the time haha.) The most important thing is to enjoy and cherish the time with your loved ones. Being able to do that in the least amount of pain and stress is what we dream of, right?


3 comments:

  1. These are wonderful tips. I overdid it for Thanksgiving, and all I made was one turkey and an apple pie. I'm still paying for that, and it's Sunday.

    I'm going to delegate Christmas cookies to my teenage son this year, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    Thank you so much for reading! I'm sorry to hear you still aren't feeling well. A Turkey and an apple pie are PLENTY of work if you don't have much energy to start with. For me, delegating is the hardest thing...I'm such a control freak/perfectionist. But I've learned in letting go of certain tasks, it not only can still turn out ok even if I'm not the one completing the task, but its SO MUCH less stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are conrol freaks because we don't want to admit we have a disability, yes disability. I have had it for decades & I still try to do many things as I used to. I CAN'T but my mind refuses to believe me. I "pay" all of the time, but I do many "good" things for my body & mind that I just nap & say the hell with it. One foot in front of the other boys & girls.

    ReplyDelete