Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fibro Fog Moments

Fibro Fog...my fickle friend... Otherwise known as:

Brain Fart
Losing your place
What's that word?
Zoning out....  


What were we talking about? Oh, right, Fibro Fog. One of the least physically painful symptoms of Fibromyalgia, but in my opinion is equally as frustrating as the chronic pain. How on earth could forgetting a word or zoning out be just as frustrating as hurting all of the time? I'll tell you why. Because Fibro Fog likes to rear its space-cadet head at the most inopportune moments, usually when you're actually feeling decent and doing well.

For once you're able to sit down and have a good conversation with your mom, sister, friend...whoever. You're feeling better, they're making you laugh, then you think of that funny thing that happened the other day that you should totally tell them. And then it's gone. Sometimes mid-sentence, sometimes before you can even get it out. And once more, you're reminded you aren't nearly as sharp as you once were. You aren't the old you. The one that was quick and witty, the one who could stand her ground in debate and never lose her place. Yeah, that isn't you anymore. Now you recluse from conversations, especially with people who don't know about the Fibro...people who would only look at you like you're stupid. 

Then there's the times when it happens at work. You're on the phone with a client and they tell you their name, you go to write it down in the same moment and it's gone. So then you have to look like the inconsiderate Customer Service Representative who couldn't bother to remember their name and ask for it again...possibly one or two more times. Or maybe by that time you've just switched to calling them "Sir," or "Ma'am," because it's too embarrassing to ask for their name again. Thank goodness for those two words. They really save me sometimes.

My favorite though is the conversations with my husband. Two of the most common questions I get from him is, "Remember? I told you that the other day," or "We talked about that already. Did you forget?" Yes. I did forget. In fact, I usually have no recollection of the conversation at all. Like zero. It never happened. Whereas used to I would argue to the death that I was right and we absolutely did NOT talk about whatever subject it is...I have now learned to accept and basically assume he's right. Because more times than not, I am wrong. My short-term memory is basically non-existent. Sometimes I get to play the fun game of, "Did I say that out loud or did I just think it?" Never being sure can make things quite interesting. 

My friends and husband like to joke about my ADD. I've never actually been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD before...and I'm honestly not sure how much of my space-cadetness (yes I just made that up) comes from the Fibro Fog and how much could possibly be attributed to something else such as OCD or ADD. All I know is I'm spacey, I forget things all the time, and my brain is usually going a BAJILLION MPH. And I do tend to get frustrated with myself when I cannot cognitively function up to par with the rest of my friends. 

<What are some of your best/worst Fibro Fog moments? Please share!>

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any best/worse Fibro Fog moments. Let's just say that my whole life is Fibro Fog. I swear that I zone out completely most of the time. I can't remember what I've read or what I've just watched on TV or what someone has just said to me. I try to pay attention but within a few minutes, I'm gone. One of these days, I'm just going to start carrying a pad & pen around with me. Now, if I can remember where I put it........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure my teenagers would tell you that my best Fog moments are when they can get by with doing something or faking their way thru a conversation by saying "Mom, we talked about this, you already approved" and since I have no idea whether we did or not...well you know how that goes....I'm also sure my teenagers would tell you that my worst Fog moments are when I can't remember that they went somewhere with me and something funny or cool happened and after we're home I say something like "OMG you should have been there when such and such happened! It was soooo funny!!!" and they're all like "Thanks Mom! I WAS THERE!" ..... they tend to get a little annoyed with me when that happens ... (I've actually argued with them about whether they were really there or not! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete