Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Back in the Day


I’m sixteen and little do I know it, I am in the best physical shape I will ever be in. I go to early morning marching band practice at 6:30am and carry an eight pound instrument around my neck for two hours. Then I attend school, sitting at a desk for the majority of seven hours, followed by a drive to the dance studio and being on my feet, (or on the floor) for another five to seven hours. Somewhere in there is a break to slam down Taco Bell or Burger King, all before getting to go home just to sit at my desk some more and do homework until midnight. Sleep for five to six hours, rinse and repeat. 

Now, don't be fooled. I didn't do all of this with ease. I was never, and will never be considered "normal," if such a thing even exists. (Which it doesn't. But that's for another time and a different soap box.) I think my body has always been a little different compared to other females my age. As a child I was never particularly athletic, which is not completely unusual. But I started having back and muscle problems at the young age of ten and began seeing my mother’s chiropractor. The muscles in my hamstrings have always been “wound tight," which caused me to have to work much harder at stretching and flexibility in dance. The tightness, paired with my back spasms and alignment issues, also made recovery time from dance or other exercise much longer than most my age. My knees began giving me incessant issues around the age of fifteen. I had always had what my doctors thought were growing pains, but when I started dance it worsened quickly. Lucky me, I inherited my biological father’s Osgood Schlatters. This is when the tendons do not connect completely to the bone in your knee, usually due to a growth spurt in an active adolescent. Usually kids grow out of it, but in my blood line, it sticks around forever. Yay. Once I was diagnosed with this, I was told to quit any running, jumping, squatting, and anything that would cause acute knee impact, or I’d have to have knee replacements before I was thirty. Fifteen-year-old Me was not ready to give up what seemed like everything that was important and made me happy. Especially since thirty was so far away.

Naivety at its best, my friends.


Most people look back and joke about how good they looked “back in the day”. I’ll admit, I did look what I would personally consider "my best" back then, at 5’5” and 130lbs. Nearly ten years later though, I’m not looking back and thinking about how good I looked, I’m looking and longing for how much I was able to do. Thirty isn't that far away anymore... *shudder*

As a child, I never understood why my mother had to budget her energy, picking and choosing each little thing she would or would not do. She tried to explain to me that she had "Fibromyalgia" and it made her really tired sometimes. At the age of seven, I didn't understand it, nor was I interested. It was just a big F-word I couldn't pronounce. It frustrated me that naps and resting came before activities and fun most days. Sometimes I would get so bored having to play by myself, that I would “accidentally” be loud just to see if I could wake her up so she would play with me. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have made a peep.

I’m sorry, Mom. I get it now. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Baylee...good post. I also have the "F-word". Your childhood memories mirror mine almost exactly. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always message me. I definitely understand the pain and frustration that comes with dealing with Fibro. Hopefully one day there will be something that gives us relief. Until then...hang in there.
    -Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG L-DAWG! I had no idea you had Fibro. I just recently joined a support group here in New Orleans called Faith, Hope, and Fibro. I've been writing a lot lately, so the first few posts I guess you could say are pre-written. But I have a lot of things I want to do and say. I'm hoping to reach people all over and educate them. There are women in my support group whose Husbands don't even believe them. Since I've moved down here, and especially since I left Best Buy, I've needed to be involved in something. I think I've finally found my purpose :)

    If you want to talk about "best practices" (haha...BBY lingo will never go away), I'd be happy to share what works for me. I use a combination of prescriptions and natural approaches. Love ya!

    --B-WEEZY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I can see how people don't believe. You can't see it, there's no known causes for it, no cures....people just think you are being a hypochondriac or being a whiner. I even had issues with doctors not believing me since nothing ever showed up on scans or tests. I also have nerve damage in my back from an injury which is where I think my Fibro stemmed from. Anyway message me and let's talk. I would love to hear the stuff you try and what all works for you. I hurt my back when I was 8, I was diagnosed with Fibro when I was 19...I've tried a million "remedies" and medicines but I'm actually in a rough patch right now and dealing with a lot of pain. Anyway...It's good that you are in a support group with others that understand. It's nice to not feel crazy!! Hit me up B-Weezy!

    ReplyDelete