Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

It's Been a While...

Hey there!

I know I've been MIA via Blogger for a while. My (almost) 6 month "sabbatical" has been necessary though. Here are some things that have happened since my last post:


  • Tulane University offered me a permanent position in their Human Resources department after I temped there for 3 months. I accepted, of course :)
  • Lucy, (our dog), had to have two small malignant tumors removed from her belly. She has since developed two more and we are trying to decide whether to do surgery again or not. (It costs a lot of money that we don't exactly have right now...)
  • I totaled my car on a pot hole on my street. Yes, a pot hole. No, I wasn't going fast. Yes, New Orleans streets are that bad. No, the city is not going to reimburse me (unless I get in line with the thousands of other people who receive less than $100 a few years after their claim. Not worth the hassle.) The pot hole was unmarked and it was dark outside. It caught the front end of my car, cracked the center of the frame and smashed one of the corners to where it looked like "a smashed soda can" according to the mechanic. The airbag deployed. Of course this caused my already existing whiplash to flare, and I sustained chemical burns on my arm from the airbag. Overall, no big deal. It just set back my recovery/maintenance on my back problems. Oh and we were less than a year away from having the car paid off. Yay...
  • We bought a new-ish car. We're SUPER happy with it! We bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The person who had it before us hardly drove it at all. We bought it with 12k miles on it. The former owner also put ALL of the bells and whistles on it, so we lucked out there too!
  • July 1st, I go back to school. I will be attending at Tulane (obviously). I am going to finish my Bachelor of Arts degree just to get it under my belt. Then I might go for my MBA...but we'll have to see when that time comes.
And that pretty much sums up the last 6 months as far as big events go. My pain has been up and down. I've also re-entered therapy, as highly suggested by my rheumatologist. She referred me to an awesome LCSW whose specialty is in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). (I'll be doing a post specifically on DBT later to explain my personal experience with this therapeutic technique.) So I guess I can officially add Dr. Stavros to Baylee's Fibro Team. I've been going consistently for a few months now and it's most certainly helped me with day-to-day struggles and stressors. I don't always look forward to going, but I know it's helping. I've never been good at staying consistent with these things. You could call me a therapist-hopper I suppose. But, with the support of my hubby, I will continue to go in spite of the dread I experience before each appointment. Once I get there and after the appointment has concluded, I'm always glad I went.

Last, but most certainly not least, I'm going to church again. Jeremy and I were blessed to find a church just a few blocks from where we live. It's clear to me that this plan has been in place for a long time. We were attending off and on before Christmas, but I was having a problem staying consistent with going. (Are you seeing a pattern here?) In fact, this is the first time I've gone to church consistently since I lived at home in High School.  We've met some wonderful, supportive people who I consider to be family. Without a doubt, Bethel Missionary Baptist Church is a huge part of my Fibro Team now. 

So there's your update on the ongoing craziness in my life. I hope to be posting more frequently now that I'm more adjusted to my new routine. Thanks to those who've continued checking in on me!


No comments:

Post a Comment